Mr. & Mrs. L. Dexter Woodman Scholarship
P.O. Box 81, 127R Main Street
Essex, MA 01929
800-649-1773 978-768-2559 Fax: 978-768-7198
Tax exempt#: 222-925975
Dexter & Gini Woodman never lost touch with their community and its young people. Both were known to be kind and generous individuals. When young people came to Dexter looking for jobs, he would make sure he found one for them. Woodman’s became more like a home for many of the young men and women who worked here and have gone on to succeed in various professional careers carrying with them lessons learned from working at Woodman's and the man who gave them that first opportunity. When former employees would return to Woodman's, they would be greeted by Dexter, who truly enjoyed hearing about their accomplishments since their time working at the restaurant. He loved nothing more than when they shared their memories of their working days at Woodman’s. Dexter Woodman passed away in 1987 and since then, scholarships to assist young people to attend college are awarded to honor his legacy and memory. After Gini Woodman passed away in 2011, it seemed only fitting to include her name to celebrate their devotion to each other, their community and helping young people succeed. In 2013, we celebrated 25 years of giving with the awarding of the newly named Mr. & Mrs. L. Dexter Woodman Scholarship Fund.
Since inception, $686,000 in scholarships has been awarded to 118 local students through the following organizations:
- Manchester Essex Regional high school seniors
- Cape Ann Chamber of Commerce
- Massachusetts Restaurant Association
- Campbell High School, Litchfield, NH
- Woodman’s of Essex Employee College Students
- Supporter of 25 North Shore Chamber of Commerce Honors Scholars
- Sponsorship of Prep at Pingree
Donations are accepted here or by mail to Mr. & Mrs. L. Dexter Woodman Scholarship Fund P.O. Box 81 Essex, MA 01929.
We thank you in advance for your support.
- Merrimack Valley Distributing Co., Inc.
- Seacoast Coca Cola Bottling Company
- Leslie Ray Insurance Agency, Inc.
- Tomas & Michelle Murphy / Andover Healthcare
2016 Annual Appeal donors:
- Philip & Judith McComiskey Gordon Florist & Greenhouses
- Joanne Doyle Shaheen Brothers, Inc.
- Tom Trudel - Beverly Glass Co. Capt. Vince, Inc.
- Shea's Riverside Restaurant & Bar
- Essex River Cruises & Charters
- Lance Brisbois - in memory of Larry Woodman
- Charlie, Michael & Valerie Symonds